How to Take Care of Succulents at Home
Succulents are so trendy right now, and despite what you may think, they are NOT difficult to take care of! Succulents are a part of our Terrarium Bar in the shop and we even did some Terrarium Bar take-home kits while we were closed during COVID-19. My original idea behind the Terrarium Bar in the shop was that I wanted to create something for our customers to DO! I wanted to create an experience for people to be creative. So, while the shop was closed, I wanted to continue to offer that but with the ability for customers to do it from home with their families! And our incredible customers (especially their kids) loved absolutely LOVED the take-home kits! Before we dive into succulent tips, check out some of our cute customer photos!
How fun are they!? I loved that so many families got their kids into it. :)
So, if you're reading this, you're looking for some tips to take care of our succulents at home (and keep them alive!). Let's dive in...
- Give your succulents SUNLIGHT! Having your succulents in indirect, filtered sunlight (next to a window) will be extremely helpful for their overall health and growth.
- Water them once every 3 weeks - or even just once per month! Succulents like to be DRY like a cactus. The amount of water your succulents need can depend on the container they're in, too. If you tend to overwater your plants, one option is to plant your succulents in a container with drainage holes because a plant that's sitting in tons of water actually isn't good for it! Pots with drainage is not a necessity, but will make managing over watering a lot easier.
- Rotate your succulents frequently! Because succulents love light, they will actually "lean" towards the light and the side that's facing the sunlight will get the majority of the light. Rotating them frequently helps them stand up straight and ensures the light distributes evenly!
- Use the right soil. You shouldn't use dirt from your yard or regular potting soil. Your succulents will thrive with cactus soil, which is super easy to find!
- Keep your succulents clean! Depending on the type, they may collect dust easily. Use a damp cloth to wipe the leaves and spines of all your beautiful plants to keep them clean and healthy!
If you're brand new to succulents and you're not sure which ones to get started with, some of my FAVORITES are the rosette ones! They're soooo pretty and there are so many different colors. If you love the idea of having plants in your home but you're nervous about being able to keep them alive, succulents are great to get started with since they're fairly low-maintenance! Succulents love to be neglected. Haha!
We hope this blog post made you a little more confident in treating your home to some gorgeous succulents! If you implement these tips, you'll have no trouble with them!
What other questions do you have about succulents? Let us know on our Facebook page or Instagram and we'll help you out!