How to Be More Present on Your Wedding Day
Chances are, you’ve probably heard a time or two that your wedding day “just FLIES by”. There is SO MUCH planning, excitement, and buildup to that ONE day and then all the sudden, unfortunately, it’s gone. We don’t want you to have those post-wedding blues, so we want to give you some encouraging tips on how to be more present on your wedding day.
- Create EXTRA time for your morning routine. It may sound unrealistic if your day starts SUPER early, but carving out a little extra time to wake up slowly, in gratitude, and in peace can make all the difference. Want 30 minutes of quiet, alone time before your phone starts buzzing and it’s time for hair and makeup and all the things? Be sure to give yourself that extra time to reflect and envision your perfect day before all the partying starts! :)
- Carve out a little bit of the day, even if it’s only 15-20 minutes where you have total alone time with your partner. You can relax, chat, take a few deep breaths, and have a few moments of stillness together before everyone is fighting for your attention at the reception. :) Whether it’s before or after the ceremony, we think you’ll be glad you did this!
- Take a moment to slow everything down, thank your guests for being there, and do a toast before the night really kicks off. When you “pause” and direct the whole room’s attention to you just so you can show your gratitude for them being there, it can really put the whole day in perspective. Plus, getting to make eye contact with everyone in the room at once can really make you feel truly present.
- This is kind of a fun bonus idea, but can you have an attendant or bridesmaid be in charge of your phone all night? Taking photos, Snapchat videos, Instagram Stories, and documenting the night so you don’t have to be holding on to your phone at all? This may not be everyone’s cup of tea - but it’s an idea worth exploring if you know it would make you happy to 1) be “unplugged” all night and 2) still have photos and videos to enjoy looking at the next morning. This also ensures you’re not caught reading texts and notifications from other people all night!
- Speaking of an attendant, can you assign someone to make sure you don’t get caught up with one guest for 30 minutes? We say it with love - but when you want to stay present and connect with as many guests as possible, it may be helpful to have an attendant or bridesmaid “nudge” you along in case you need to be stolen away from a particular guest so you can keep enjoying the night and partying away. Those 30 minutes add up SUPER quickly and remember, the night is going to fly by!
- Every hour or so, try to sneak away with your partner to step back and observe all the people that you brought together. Step into the corner of the room, stop, look around, take a sip of your drink, and take it all in.
- And of course, hire a great team! A wedding planner, florist, caterers, bartenders, and attendants can make ALL the difference in how smoothly your day goes - and how PRESENT you feel when you don’t have to be bothered with the little things that are happening behind the scenes. Hire people that you trust will do their best to make sure you can truly enjoy yourself from the moment the day begins to the moment you finally lay your head down to sleep.
Obviously, we’re all different. Everyone’s wedding day and ideal routine will vary and that’s the BEAUTY of it. But even if you just choose ONE of our tips to help you feel more present on your wedding day, it would make us so happy!
Have another tip that you want to share with us on our Facebook page? We’d love to hear it!